Knee pain can be caused by a sudden injury, an overuse injury, or by an underlying condition, such as arthritis. Treatment will vary depending on the cause. Symptoms of knee injury can include pain, swelling, and stiffness. There are a lot of people that suffer from knee pain in Tupelo, and for many there are some great treatment options.
Knee Pain in Tupelo MS
Knee pain is an extremely common complaint, and there are many causes. It is important to make an accurate diagnosis of the cause of your symptoms so that appropriate treatment can be directed at the cause. If you have knee pain, some common causes include:
- Arthritis - Arthritis is among the most common causes of knee pain, and there are many treatments available.
- Ligament Injuries - Ligament injuries commonly occur during athletic activities and can cause discomfort and instability.
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Injury
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Injury
- Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Injury
- Cartilage Injuries | Meniscal Tear - Cartilage tears are seen in young and old patients alike, and are also an extremely common cause of knee pain.
- Patellar Tendonitis - Tendonitis around the joint is most commonly of the patellar tendon, the large tendon over the front of the knee.
- Chondromalacia Patella - Chondromalacia causes knee pain under the kneecap and is due to softening of the cartilage. It is most common in younger patients (15-35 years old).
- Dislocating Kneecap - A dislocating kneecap causes acute symptoms during the dislocation, but can also lead to chronic knee pain.
- Baker's Cyst - A Baker's cyst is swelling in the back of the joint, and is usually a sign of another underlying problem such as a meniscus tear.
- Bursitis - The most common bursa affected around the joint is just above the kneecap. This is most common in people who kneel for work, such as gardeners or carpetlayers.
- Plica Syndrome - Plica syndrome is an uncommon cause of knee pain, and can be difficult to diagnose. The diagnosis is usually made at the time of arthroscopy.
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Osgood-Schlatter disease is a condition seen in adolescents and is due to irritation of the growth plate just at the front of the joint.
- Osteochondritis Dissecans - Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) is another condition seen in adolescents due to the growth of the bone around the joint.
- Gout - Gout is an uncommon cause of knee pain. However, in patients who have a diagnosis of gout, it must be considered as a cause for new onset knee pain.
If you suffer from knee pain call our team at Chiropractic Neurology Center of Tupelo today. Our Tupelo area team can offer you some of the latest treatments available to help you overcome this painful problem.